Wednesday, October 17, 2012

What a miserable day of disappointment….

Man!  October 16th and 17th are going down as prime days of disillusion for Darlene Anderson.  After my dismal night trying to find follow-up on the 2nd Presidential Debate and the subsequent discovery that my area is being over run by conservative and religious programming on the AM band of radio, I had turned to the computer for solace.

Since I had picked up my movie of "Obama 2016" from Redbox, I thought I would watch that and investigate what had been so important that the news had reported bus loads of people going to see it.  I was a child during World War II, so I got to see what propaganda movies were like.  We were fed a regular menu of them interspersed with pleas for us to invest in war bonds and savings stamps to "help Uncle Sam."  That is EXACTLY what showed up on my computer tonight!  Propaganda!

The opposition said that this film was supposed to be as important and as informative as Michael Moore's "Fahrenheit 911" which had been a visual record of what Dubya had done following the attack on 9/11.  I still recall the image of Dubya leading a robed Prince-of-somewhere up a rocky path, holding his hand, as the narrator explained that Bush had helped the relatives of Bin Laden escape on OUR planes to avoid the wrath of the American People following the crashes of the 2 planes.

Well, THAT was sure the wrong expectation.  This was pure propaganda to alienate voters who may have held Obama in any esteem at all.  They used some of Obama's narration of one of his early books, "Dreams From My Father," and after painting as dark an image of his father as they could, they ended up with the prediction that Barack will lead America into a dark, dark ending because of his feelings for his father and his early tutors and friends.

Nothing in the film speaks fairly to any action on Obama's part.  It shames him for leaving his brother living in a shack in Africa, although an on camera interview with the brother shows the brother has no ill will whatsoever.  There are many, many minutes of filming of shacks and children playing in the dirt.  I have no idea what the purpose was other than to denigrate Obama's background.

They show interviews with people who recall memories and give opinions which are exactly that--only opinions, based on those individual's feelings.  They end up by deciding that a great deal of his character is based on what his father was and did.  Malarkey!  I hate to think how I would be judged if people knew that my dad ran away from home when he was in the 6th grade and worked in the oil fields of Colorado, or that he ran booze in tanks under the seat of his new automobile as soon as he bought one, and was chased by the police.  Who am I?  I follow the rules so well that my husband used to “Baaaa” at me for being such a sheep!  Not my father, for sure.

I *am* genetically my father's daughter.  I have his large feet and hands.  My ankles are not slim--they are like my dad's.  My brother got my mom's ankles and had to tape them to run the mile.  Life if crazy.  But we are NOT our parents!  We are the sum of all the people we have met  and all the places we have been, all tempered by the choices we make and how we react to things that happen to us.  We build our own character!  Nothing in this ridiculous film made me question Obama’s character!

They make the same broad strokes of assumptions about how he feels based on people he has honored and been close to in his life.  Stupid.  I spent hours on long correspondence over the past few years with a woman whom I ended up dropping because of her hatred for Obama and all things Left.  Based on this film, they would have assumed that I was a right wing conservative because of her actions.  Not in this life.  I am me.  Obama is Obama--not their contrived collection of opinions.

This film makes scary statements about how Obama feels and what he is planning to do--all based on these opinions.  They attribute reasons for his actions that do not match the politician I have watched and listened to.  They think that he hates Israel and supports the Muslims, although it *wisely* stops short of calling him a Muslim.  There is no mention of a missing birth certificate or sealed records, as we see rumored on the Internet.

The film predicts a United States of Islam that will be a reality in 2016, if Obama is elected.  They predict that Iran will have nuclear weapons and blame him for taking no action to date to stop that.

Our Freedoms are going to end up being our downfall, I fear.  Freedom of Speech can be such a divisive issue.  I will return this DVD tomorrow and be glad that it is out of this house.  It is an ugly, ugly film--nothing like Fahrenheit 911.  I am not going to go to sleep without praying for our President. 

No comments:

Post a Comment