Tuesday, October 2, 2012

I SPENT AN ENTIRE DAY IN BED WITH A COLD!

It is almost 10:30 and I am watching the last half of CASTLE while I type. I got to watch Dancing With the Stars tonight.  (I missed it last week because the Seahawks were on Monday Night Football.)  I just finished casting all 12 votes on line and another 12 via Verizon.  I split my votes between Melissa Rycroft and Gile Whatever His Name Is.  (I’m ashamed that I didn’t try to remember it.)  They are both such beautiful specimens of the human race and the fact that they will push themselves so hard to be able to perform like that impresses me.

Other contestants are former Olympic Champions and entertainers from various fields.  The one-who-doesn’t-belong is the Palin kid.  She is there (I am almost positive) because of Mama.  I am assuming that someone high up on the food chain is a Republican.  I could be wrong—lol.  Of course, Mama Palin and Papa Palin got some camera time.  I seriously suspect political consideration.

I cannot remember ever having this kind of a cold in the field that remains in my memory.  This one started one night with very sore tonsils.  Within hours, I had  begun to sneeze and my nose was literally running hot water!  It would drip from my nostrils as I was walking across the room to get a Kleenex.  That was at about ten or eleven p.m.  I went to bed in misery and woke up even MORE SO.

By morning, I could hear it in my voice.  My head was in full COLD mode, I had a raging sore throat and my chest sounded like I had full blown pneumonia.

I have a lot of plants sitting along the side of the house that were supposed to be in the ground last month and the park has a rule that only 3 containers can be visible from the street, so I was out there last night (after the football game) trying to clear room to plant them. I cut back the calla lilies, hostas, and several shrubs to make room, but ran out of daylight.  With this miserable cold, I was either blowing my nose or coughing and I was feeling this normal misery that goes with a cold.  I did not want to be there  But it was in the high 60s with no wind, and it had to be done.

Regardless, when this morning came and I awoke after 10 a.m., I went down to the kitchen and got some orange juice and took my required meds and watched YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS (my silly favorite soap opera) and stayed in bed.  The flowers can wait.  If the owner pitches a fit, I will pitch right back.  I asked in December to have the trees cut away from my roof, and they still haven’t been done.  So I will plant flowers as soon as I have a walk-about cold.  That is not where this one is.

I napped off and on between coughing fits, but the Vicks on the bottom of the feet continues to stop the cough. The problem is, when the cough stops, the congestion seems to build. THAT is not good.  I remember that when I had the abscess on my appendix, the nurses made me breathe through this apparatus that made me cough. They said I needed to do that to clear my lungs so that pneumonia wouldn’t develop.  Funny.  I can remember that and that was 1972.  Of course, it was life-threatening, so I imagine it is one thing I *should* remember.

I am thinking that my throat must be swollen.  When I swallow, it feels like it is as snug as it was when I had that huge tumor in my neck.  There is no swelling there, so there is no tumor, but I am thinking that the airways to my lungs must be swollen and that would infringe upon the tube to my esophagus.  I may be wrong, but I sure hope this isn’t one of those danged superbugs that will last forever and not go away.  I don’t like it and I want it out of my doggoned life.

Pokey does not like the smell of the Vicks or the sound of the constant cough, I think.  Last night, he wanted to go down to his crate, and after he had gone and I had changed the pad, he refused to return to bed with me.  He wanted to stay in the family room—in fact, he stayed there most of the day.  I talked him into coming down around dinner time and he ate here and let me hold/pet him for a little while, but after he had eaten all I had to offer (including some of my chicken) he wanted to go back down to where it doesn’t smell like Vicks.  Good thing, I guess.  I can’t smell it because of the cold.  In fact, it has dimmed my taste buds, as well.  All food tastes flat, but this box of Florida Natural Orange Juice was absolutely wonderful.  I didn’t remember OJ tasted this good.  I am trying to switch from Coke to OJ.  It has a lot of calories, but so has Coke.  At least the OJ is fortified with calcium and vitamin C.  Coke had nothing.  Coke did it for me.  They changed the flavor when they moved to the new machines where you push the button.  It has a new more fruity taste and I didn’t drink the other stuff for fifty years to want change.  For carbonation, I’m trying to learn to like 7 Up or Sprite.

I was supposed to be going to a volunteer meeting for the North end of the county group for Obama.  I didn’t think that spreading this *gem* of a cold would help the campaign, so I skipped it.  I will call when I’m well.  It is so strange this election.  There are NO Romney or Obama signs out at all.  TONS of signs for local yokels, but none for the big offices.  I watched that video on FB that explained the Electoral College.  A person could win only a hand full of states and win the Presidency without 78% of the popular vote.  It is SO unfair.  I do wish it could be changed.

Frankly, I don’t think anything will change until we get all women in office.  That will happen the morning after Hell freezes over.

Tomorrow marks ten years since the Washington DC Sniper.  The local news is telling how the pair began here in Tacoma and showing where they are now.  They are sure that it started with Domestic Abuse.  I am sick at the Republican Party for refusing to renew the law against that in D.C.  They are such a bunch of jackasses.

Seattle has removed the free bus routes downtown and has cut dozens of routes to save money.  They were in the red for millions.  Over 125 traffic tickets also went out in the mail today to drivers on I-90 who were speeding through construction zones and were captured by cameras.  Their fine is $137 per car.  Not funny.

Today, a whole bunch of horses were rescued from a family who were letting them starve to death.  The oldest one was too weak to survive and had to be euthanized.  I wish they could imprison people who do this to animals.  The poor creatures have no way to protect themselves.  If the human lacks the money, there are places to call for help.  Every time I hear about animals, I think of that adorable black and white Chi puppy.  It looked so much like my son’s darling Darby—although Darby also had some brown, as I remember.  It was smaller and skinnier because it was a puppy, but it was a darling.

The news is also telling about hikers and mountain goats here in Washington.  Some people have fed them in the past, but now they are becoming more aggressive.  A man was even gored and killed last year.  Now they are telling people to leave them alone, or wave a coat and yell at them to scare them away.

I am learning a lot from tonight’s news.  I didn’t know it, but Washington adopted California’s Emission Standards in 2009.  My little car is in fine shape in that case.

We are at 58 degrees now and a mild cold front is passing over us tonight.  It was 74 today, but we just had the dryest August/September on record this year.  We NEED rain, but if not, it’s going to be VERY DANGEROUS for the next TWO WEEKS for fire danger.  The  entire half of the state east of the crest of the Cascades is already shaded red for high fire danger due to dryness.  That huge miserable fire is still burning over there.  I feel so sorry for the poor animals that had to die.

I spread fresh stinky Vicks on my chest about 2 hours ago and I swear. I am not coughing now.  Didn’t put any on my feet, but I don’t hear the “rattle” sound when I cough and the wheeze when I exhale is smaller.  I am very happy for one thing.  I didn’t start feeling worse as it turned night time.  That is the usual thing for me.  I can be so-so during the day, but as soon as it turns night time, the cold gets MUCH worse and during the night is miserable.  I am so happy to see this one is different.

Oh, my.  One more revelation on the news.  America’s Team, the Dallas Cowboys, lost to Chicago tonight and now have the same record as the Seahawks, 2-2!  Now the Front Runner Seattle fans can shut the heck up about a new quarterback for us. I love the little guy we have now.  I disliked Pete Carroll in double digits when he was with USC, but he is my hero now.  These are 2 guys I cheer for every game!

heroes

Russell Wilson  and Pete Carroll

(both about 5’11”)

I spent part of my in-bed time today reading.  I bought Joe Theisman’s COMPLETE IDIOT’S GUIDE TO FOOTBALL in an oversized soft cover a year or so ago.  I had carted it over to storage and buried it until this recent move where so many things resurfaced.  I studied the chapters on “The Game Plan” and the “D Line.”  I finished up with the Linebackers and now have to go to work on the Secondary—the Cornerbacks and the Safeties.  This where most of my favorite players play, so I can find out what they are supposed to be doing.  The chapter heading says they should be “small, quick and fearless.”  That fits Earl Thomas (my overall favorite back) who is from the U. of Texas.

earl making interception

But the dude on the other side is 6’3” from Stanford.  He is equally fast and also has long hair.  I don’t know why they do that.  They can be tackled if someone can get a hold on the dreads!

R Sherman blue uni

I am going to see if I can post this to my blog.  I am watching Jimmy Kimmel.  I watched Arnold’s interview on news last night and I can’t believe how homely he is.  And what a fool.

Good night my friends.  I’m sorry this was so boring.  It has been that kind of a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment