Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Fall is finally here……

Fall is falling all around us and all over us.  It is finally raining!  I had to pick up a carton of Coke at the storage unit today and had to get gas in the car.  The storage unit is a little over a mile away and there are not many maples along the roadway, but from Poulsbo to the Chevron station I now use, there are maples all along the highway.

I used to go to the Chevron that is just down the hill, but I finally decided to be more loyal to my checkbook and bank account than I was to the people I liked that worked there.  Their gas is almost always close to 20 cents more per gallon than the next Chevron which is between here and Silverdale.  It was such fun driving in the rain.  I know, I sound insane, but it was cloudy and wet and the trees had all been washed—the leaves were still partly green but there were a lot of yellow ones, so it was a pretty drive.

After I had gassed up and was starting home, I made what JD would call “an aggressive” right turn onto the highway and my back end actually squirreled around on me.  I felt silly!  I was glad there was no one there to see me.  I forgot how slick the streets can be when they haven’t been washed for almost 3 months.  Poco looked at me with the funniest look.  He had no idea what had happened, he was just looking at me—but *I* knew, and I must have attributed more to his look then he ever intended.

When we got home, I had to cook up a batch of boneless chicken thighs I had purchased a few days ago, so I put them in my 10” fry pan and did not use any olive oil at all.  I just put them in a cold pan and heated it rather slowly.  As the little bit of fat rendered, there was plenty to keep them from sticking.  I fed some to Poquito and I had some for Moi!  I also had a salad with that strong Chunky Bleu Cheese dressing from Marketside that I like so much.

While the chicken was cooking, I cleaned out the veggie drawers in the fridge.  It is amazing how quickly I will forget something is there.  I had to toss stuff that made me feel ashamed for being so wasteful.  I was thinking about Mom talking about the children in India.  As I was thinking about it, I began to doubt that she had ever said that.  I doubt that Mom ever had time to learn about India.  She dropped out of high school in 11th grade because she only had 2 dresses and she was embarrassed by being teased and ridiculed about it.  I wonder if that is why I am such a clothes horse?  (I doubt it.  I think I am totally responsible for that irresponsibility!)

It is 2:45 already and I should be trying to sleep, but I am watching an episode of MAJOR CRIMES that I missed.  I really like this show.  I figured I would, but I was a little worried that with Kyra Sedgwick being gone, the charm would be gone.  NOT.  The writers came up with a neat way to keep the cast together and yet have a different focus.  I have also missed about 4 days of my daytime soap, Young and the Restless, but I can only watch that on my laptop.  I just had a bright idea.  And I mean just NOW.  I have another laptop.  My old one is here under the bed.  I could get online with that one and be watching on that one while I wrote on this one.  How cool.  But I would need a new battery.  The batteries in both computers are dead.  I can only use them when they are plugged in.

I am relieved that the high winds that were forecast have skipped us (so far.)  Power is out in Seattle already and they have had one landslide.  Seems crazy.  We haven’t had enough rain for that.  Reminds me of that silly song,
“Strange Things Are Hap-pen-ing.”  I do need to go fetch the flashlight that belongs here in the bedroom.  I took it to the kitchen when I was looking behind the TV down there and forgot to bring it back.  Will do that as soon as I finish here.

I am very pleased with the work Tyler did on clearing the roof. He blew off the loose needles and dried moss, and then sprinkled the moss killer and will come back in a few weeks (if we have a dry day) and will clear off any moss that is left.  He took some photos when he was finished and I saw that the strip of metal they put up there that is supposed to suppress moss growth had been blown loose and twisted.  Tyler didn’t mention that to me, so I’m glad I saw it.

         IMG_0184                 IMG_0185

I can’t figure how he got these 2 shots.  The house is only 66 ft. long.  This is the roof over the house.  The carport is in these shots.

IMG_0189  This is the front side of the carport roof with the trough where the slants meet.

This is the back side where the leaves tend to stay for a  longer time. I think it has to do with the direction of the winds we have here.  (It was a cloudy afternoon, by the way.  Thus the shadows and bits of sunshine.)

IMG_0190

The really neat thing about finding Tyler is that he has decided that he hates the Pizza place where he is working, and until he finds another day job, he is going to do odd jobs.  So he is willing to even do yard work for ten bucks an hour, which is about half of what most yard people ask here.  I am going to call him to put down the bark that is stacked in the front yard now.  Wednesday is supposed to be dry, so I am going to call  him tomorrow.  I will be in sad shape if he is busy.  In fact, I think I will cry!

Our football game this past weekend was absolutely thrilling!  We have won or lost almost all of our games in that final 2 minutes.  This time we were in the red zone with 5 minutes to go, when Russell made a great pass to the end zone and we left the Patriots with a little over a minute to try to catch us.  They failed, and I was delighted!  The neatest thing is that the Patriots have the #1 Offense in the NFL.  The Seahawks have the #1 Defense.  The Patriots have won 3 Super Bowls.  We have the 3rd Youngest team in the NFL.  We have not won a thing.  For us to beat them was totally staggering!  I didn’t get to watch with anybody this time—my cold is still bad.  But I sure enjoyed the heck out of that game all by myself!

I called my Dr. today and asked him how soon I can go see Doris.  She calls every day now to check on my cough.  She says she misses me, but I suspect she misses my bits of housework around her house.  At any rate, Crystal (Dr. G’s nurse) called me back to tell me that if I go over there before my cough has stopped completely, I have to wear a mask and gloves.  I will call her tomorrow and tell her.  I’m grateful, really.  I have enough to do on my own instead of taking on her stuff now.

I think the cough is actually a lot better—in that the rattle is gone from my chest and I am actually spitting up whatever that stuff is when a cold is ending.  My voice is still a squeak and a squawk, but even that is getting stronger.  Best of all, I am not so weak.

Funny, but lately I am finding myself liking the looks of big dogs I am seeing on TV. They are just more loving than this little guy I have now.  He has STILL never looked at me as if he loves me.  He has achieved tolerance, but that’s about it.  He does like it when I am massaging him in a way that he likes, but he is bossy about that.  He literally sits beside me and YAPS for attention.  If he has crawled under the covers and has forgotten his toy, he yips.  If I get him a toy and put it under the covers, he is fine.  If I ignore him, instead of coming out and getting his danged toy, he will continue to YIP at me until I find a toy.  He can be such a PAIN. 

He still refuses to come at my first request. He has also taken to removing himself completely when I smell like too much Vicks or when I am too restless and am flopping around too much on “our” bed. He is perfectly content to sleep by himself. Bitsy would never have done that!

When he IS sleeping with me, like all of my last 3 dogs, he sleeps perpendicular to me so that his <10 pounds gets the same width on the mattress as my >200 pounds do, and he thinks this is just fine. He growls if I infringe on HIS territory, too. He is a little tyrant!

Hawaii Five-O is on now.  I wish I could have gotten to the islands one more time.  On the other hand, there are so many states that are this side of the ocean, that would be fun, too.  Frankly, the west coast has the best of everything, so I can’t see much sense of going inland.  I can see that my train of thought has been derailed!  I might as well just quit here. 

One last thought—I feel isolated in this back bedroom.  I can’t hear the wind against the house like I can in the front, and I can’t hear the rain on the skylight.  I should feel “safe” but I feel “cut off” and vulnerable.  On that eerie note, I am going to try to sleep.  I know that I will be wired Thursday night.   The Seahawks are on the NFL network on Thursday Night Football when they go to San Francisco to play the 49ers.  As of now, Las Vegas has the Seahawks at 7 and a half points.  I have NO IDEA what that means, but the Go-To guy (whom I love) is a gambler and he always gives the odds on the afternoon ESPN show.  Until this past weekend, the 49ers were in first place in our division.  But we won and they lost, so for now, we are in a tie.  Our teams are very much alike, but theirs has many more *stars*on the payroll, and we are playing at their house, so I am afraid for my boys.  I am very afraid.  So I will be glued to the TV set!  But for now, I must try lights out!

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment