I can’t believe how I wasted another day—my days are now completely and totally reversed. I could not go to sleep until the sky was clearly light. It was after 6 a.m. What is worse, I didn’t wake up till mid-afternoon.
The house was chilly when we woke, and every time I tried to talk either to Poco or on the phone, that annoying cough returned. It is much clearer sounding, but the “mini-explosions” in my larynx are not helping my voice. I still croak like a frog at one time and squeak like a mouse at another.
This is now officially the end of the 2nd full week that I’ve been fighting this darned thing. I have not had orange juice of a couple of days now. It is still over $3.00 when it is on sale, so this close to pay day, I am drinking what is in storage or in the cupboard. I have apple juice and several bottles of crangrape and cranapple, but none of them is particularly appealing right now.
This was a very bad day for my left over Minestrone soup. I put it on the stove in a pan instead of warming a single serving in the microwave, because I figured I would have it for brunch and again for an early supper. But I turned on the burner on what I thought was a low enough setting to barely let it simmer, and went down to the bedroom to take my daily meds. I take them as soon as I get up, because Dr. Oz told us that it is good for the liver to drink a full glass of water first thing on arising. It starts the clearing of toxins that may have slowed during the night. (I have no idea if that is true, but it sounds right, so I just do it.)
Well—knowing ‘The Case of the Missing Brain’--which seems to be my life of late, I forgot it was on. I got back under the covers and snuggled with Poco. By the time the aroma of scalding soup reached the bedroom, my whole pan of soup was burned on the bottom and the flavor had been ruined. What a waste of $$ for all that food. I was so mad at myself! So I had a banana on a bowl of Cheerios. Sighhhhhhh…
It was cloudy and cold looking outside and I didn’t feel like watching college football. Both of the Washington teams have been suffering dreadful Karma all season long, and only my brother’s Oregon State team (plus the U. of Oregon) are doing well. It seems so sad—like it is payback for all the years when the Washington schools went to the Rose Bowl and the Oregon schools were also-rans. These poor kids who are suffering the losses were kids in junior high when our state schools were doing so well, so it seems unfair of the Universe to punish them for things done in our past. Of course, this whole idea is silly, so I’m off the subject!
I spent the last few hours watching the History Channel—from 11 p.m. till 3 a.m. They were running a series on the Men Who Built America. It is a series on the multi-millionaires who introduced the Industrial Revolution. I got to see how Vanderbuilt took over the railroads, and Carnegie and the oil industry. I actually learned a TON. I don’t remember any of this being in our history books. It may have been, and I may have forgotten, but I didn’t know how Standard Oil got its name. I didn’t know why they built the first pipelines or whose idea it was. I didn’t know about the evolution of kerosene. I didn’t know that Ohio was at one time the mid-east of the oil world. Now I know all of those things. I hope I can remember them past tomorrow. LOL
I got to see the first machinations of the stock market by “those who have.” I do not like them any more than I did—and I do not like the filthy rich, at all. We have not graduated that far from serfdom, when you get right down to the nitty-gritty. I also watched a train topple off of a high trestle—one more reason for me to feel anxious when I’m in a train on a high bridge. LOL
I watched my first “pawn” shows this afternoon. I also watched an episode of Antiques Roadshow on PBS. There are some really interesting things that show up on those programs. One gal came in with 5 pieces of what appeared to be rhinestone costume jewelry—she had gotten them all at swap sales for ten dollars or less. Ended up that some were real diamonds and the turned out to be worth over $25,000. Another woman came in with a single diamond and ruby necklace that her mother had told her was worn by Marie Antoinette. Turned out that it was from some Empress much later than that, but it was an early Tiffany and was worth between $25 and $35 thousand! She was a happy camper, for sure.
When it was well after dark, I put a sweater on Poco and took him up to Petco and got another bag of doggy turkey jerky and then went to pick up a DVD I had reserved last night and got me some cantaloupe and a bake-at-home pizza. I have never thought of this before, but I don’t have to bake the whole thing. I can bake half of it at a time if I use it up in a couple of days. That will be lunch tomorrow.
I hope it doesn’t pour rain all day. I have to finish moving my plants to please the owner tomorrow. I got the bark put down and much of the small stuff onto my little porch as a mini-garden for a few more weeks. All I have to do tomorrow is to move the three containers I am allowed to where I want them for the winter and either tear down or carry the remaining ones to the back yard. I’m just going to pick several dozen of my little grape tomatoes and throw the rest away with the bushes. I hope my stupid owner will be happy.
I have a lot of stuff I HAVE to get in the mail this week. I have found multiple gifts that were purchased for dear Rosie in Toronto and I have not mailed them because when I had the $$ for postage, I couldn’t find the gifts. When I found them, I didn’t have postage money. I am so sad that some of the stuff is now useless. I bought her nice calendars with Chihuahuas on them, and now she will only have a couple of months to use them. I have done stupid stuff like this before. I hope I grow up before I die.
I got an e-mail from Universal Sports telling me that the new Ice Skating season is about to begin, but I don’t know if I want to pay the $35 for the season or not. Comcast no longer carries that channel. They carry NBC Sports instead on the channel that had been there for Universal. Ice Net will also have most of the competitions except the ones in China. Too much red tape for that, I guess.
It is almost 5 a.m. I need to go lights out and see if I can join Little Man in sleeping. He is my only dog not to snore. At least, I can’t recall him ever snoring. He is a very active dreamer. He runs and paws and whines and growls. Right now, he is content to just saw logs. Hope I can do that, too. I can’t hear the rain on the skylight here, but I think it is raining again. This front is smaller with no wind associated. BUT. SNOW ON THE PASSES already. I don’t know if I should try driving to California this fall or not. I have to take the car in to have them check my tires and brakes. Sheesh. If it’s not one thing, it’s two others.
I hope all of my friends and family are sleeping soundly. Dear Richard and Jonathan are tearing out their old kitchen and installing a new one from Ikea. I hope it all goes well for them. It is a stress-inducing event, for sure.
No comments:
Post a Comment