I spent 4 very hard hours on the front yard with Tyler here to help. We weeded the walking space, cut back all of the ferns in the rock (again!) and put down newsprint which we watered well and then covered with shredded bark. We raked to level off the walking surface a little more, then spread the bark only on that surface, not under the bushes. We weeded and cleared the debris beneath the shrubs, but when I put down the newsprint under them, I will cover that with mulch instead of bark. We used up 6 big bags, but we need another 6 to make it deeper and to cover the lowest level. We only covered the top 2 tonight.
While Tyler was hauling around the heavy bags, I was planting the last of the annuals that had not gone into the ground and raking up those MISERABLE decayed *cherries* that had fallen from the Dogwood tree by the corner of the house. I cut back another big hill of calla lilies and transplanted some dahlias from containers to the ground under the front windows. They will have time to get rooted in over the winter and will have the house to be tied against next summer. I have several iris that need to be moved, but it got dark before I could finish.
I cleaned up the driveway and put away tools and the yard tote (now 3/4 full already) by the light of the street light. We made a quick run to the storage unit to put some more stuff away, then came home and fixed us some pork chops and salad. Now I am trying to warm up. The thermometer read over 60 degrees when I was working, but I was chilly after we stopped and the perspiration dried up.
Tomorrow my *to do* list includes cleaning up the hose from the yard next to Doris—back or side, never know which one to call it. I am going to dig and dispose of 2 big plants with huge leaves. They look like a relative of rhubarb and they take up too much room. Color them gone. If it doesn’t rain, I am going to use the blower and clear Doris’ and my driveways from wind-blown dried needles and leaves. Then, I sadly must cut down my pretty tomato plants. I would love to keep them until the 2 or 3 dozen little tomatoes could ripen, but my owner gave me till Friday to have only 3 plants showing from the street. I hate that man.
Some time in the afternoon, I have to take the car over to Les Schwab’s to have them rotate the tires and check how much brakes I have left now. Dick called about my making a trip down this fall and taking down the stuff for his Christmas tree, but I can’t afford to have the brakes done now because of all of my yard work/help that was not budgeted this month.
Then I have to make 3 appointments—Dr. Lin for my eyes, Dr. Henne for my mammogram and Dr. Peck to use up the last of my dental benefits for the year. I am looking forward to the mammogram this year. Dr.; Henne is pioneering 3-D imagery for mammograms now, at no extra cost. It is supposed to be more accurate for people like me with denser tissue than normal/usual. I have put it off for more than a year. I hope I haven’t allowed something bad to start growing unattended.
It is almost midnight and my feet are freezing. Time to change to my sleepy sox and to fill the hot water bottle. Silly little Poco knows what it is, and when I put it under the covers, he roots his way under them, as well, and drapes himself completely over the center of the bottle. That leaves me about 2” of space on each side of him for my feet. Generous, isn’t he???
He has taken himself off to the kennel for the evening. He doesn’t like to fight for my attention when I have the laptop out. So he punishes me. What a pill!
I am going to the NFL page and check out what they are predicting for the Seahawks! Wish us luck!
No comments:
Post a Comment