After we retire from our professional lives, all the days of the week sort of blend together in a different way from what they did when we had to face the typical work week. I used to HATE Monday and I didn’t like Friday very much. Saturdays and Sundays were always so rushed because we had to cram in everything from our personal lives that went undone in the past work week. And, of course, we never quite made it all fit. So as the new work week started, we were already behind.
Once I retired, I planned NOT to stay in that familiar rut. But life plays its own little tricks, and now my life is ruled by the days the dentist and doctor are not in their office—the days the garbage has to be street side by 7 a.m.—the days the yard tote has to be down, since it is NOT the SAME as the garbage day—the Fridays only sales at Safeways—the Tuesday special rates at Rite Aid for Seniors—all those neat little things that make life “fit” someone else’s schedules. Then I impose some more on my own. I schedule around Mariners games in the summer and Seahawks games in the winter, and mumble and gripe when the seasons overlap in the fall. And since I have no family near and since I do not have a corps of friends with whom to gad about, I lock myself into a television schedule of all the shows I love. A lot of people, including my darling son, think I watch far too much TV. But here’s the thing. When I see a show over and over, I do so because I really like the writing and the actors who deliver the lines. In fact, after a full season with a show, I start to feel as comfortable with them as I do with my friends and family. They have all sorts of things in their favor.
1. They never “drop in.” They only come when I ask them, and they go home at the press of a button.
2. They never misbehave, drink excessively, smoke in my house, or make a mess on the carpet.
3. They never oppose my politics and they never talk religion. They never look askance at my cluttered house, and they never ask me if I’m putting on a little weight.
4. I never have to cook for them and they never scowl because I don’t like my coffee so strong that it takes out my tonsils on the way down when I swallow. (This is how I describe coffee as appreciated by most coffee drinkers in Seattle.)
5. They never need to vent, so I am never required to listen attentively and patiently while they burden my already stressed mind with yet more problems that I have no power to solve.
With this in mind, it is clear to see why I so enjoyed this day. First, I slept late. I was still awake at 3:30 a.m. from my continuing battle with insomnia (being fed by my Coke Classic addiction.) So I felt rested when I got up. Then I took a glorious long shower and washed my hair. (For a change, there was no shoulder pain because I had gotten a good night’s sleep and had not laid on my right side.) I dressed and took Poco for a short walk and fixed a bite of breakfast. Then I spent an hour or so in the bedroom tidying up the closet and the master bath. By then it was time for the Mariner’s game, which I watched in the family room with Poquito.
After the game, we got in the car and went to the grocery store for a package of the new NO NITRITES or NITRATES hot dogs and the SALT I forgot the last time I shopped. Also bought one of the last little melons from Hermiston. Came home and fixed sauerkraut and wieners and baked some potato wedges in the microwave for our dinner. Then I lucked into discovering that the NFL network was running a replay of last night’s game between the Seahawks and Peyton Manning’s Broncos. So I completely vegged out and watched that. I was just as taken with the new little Quarterback as I was the last time. He is something special. I keep thinking “Drew Brees,” (brilliant little QB of the New Orleans Saints) even though Drew is six feet even and Russell is only 5’10”. You cannot tell by looking at his play that he is a Rookie. He looks like he’s been playing in the NFL for years. I worry about what the Hawks will do if they don’t use Matt Flynn, whom they paid a cool EIGHT MILLION $$$ to come be our QB. They did that before they found Russell Wilson, but now they have 2 really good guys. Matt is just taller and has more experience. I am thinking they should play Matt and have Russell watch and be ready in case of injury to Matt.
At any rate, it is now after 1:00 a.m. and I am not sleepy. I am hungry, though, and I can NOT eat. The scale says I’ve only gained a few pounds, but my thighs are disgusting and I know I am adding FAT. So I have to stop my supplements and cut down on my caloric intake.
Tomorrow is Monday and it is scheduled to be less than 80 degrees again. If so, I need to return to the front yard where I had made such an excellent start. The yard tote is about 6 inches from the top, but if I leave the lid open the leaves will dry and I can get more into the bin.
The plums on the tree are as thick this year as they were in that incredible year of 2006 when I had to prop up the branches to keep them from breaking. I also have a single branch with a Tenting Caterpillar, so I need to call the office to have them come cut it out. I pay a portion of my rent to cover care of the trees, and he has not done a thing to them for 3 years. Two of them are growing over the roof now and the insect is in the plum, so he has to do something.
My darling son, Richard should be happy tonight! He sang a duet with one of his favorite female singers AND the Ukiah Symphony last night. Someone posted an iPhone video of it, but he was too far away for his face to show up well. I could definitely hear his voice. I am so proud of him. He is such a social person--I can see why he hated being an only child. His happiness seems to come from being with others. He had to have gotten that from his daddy because I hate crowds.
I hope this will post to my blog page without problem. I hope everyone is having sweet dreams.
No comments:
Post a Comment