Monday, August 27, 2012

I WOULD NEVER HAVE HAD A SUCCESSFUL LIFE AS A MOVER!

I spent most of my day moving out of T-26 and F-16.  It was only in the mid-60’s so I should have fared very well, but I got so exhausted that I ended up lying flat on my back a couple of times on a nice piece of carpet that I had rolled up in T-26 before I started moving stuff.  Being on my feet in really hot weather makes my feet and ankles swell, but even though it was cooler today, the weight of the boxes when added to my substantial on-my-bones weight made the total load completely overbearing for my lower extremities.  Sitting down helps most people, but at my weight and with whatever medical or physical condition I find myself in, I only get relief when I am flat on my back.

I learned something scary today.  When I lie down for a break at home, it is either on my bed or the daybed in the family room.  In both cases, I am on a padded mattress, and my head is elevated due to the esophageal problem.  Today, I was on the hard floor with only a piece of carpet, and my head was also flat.  The feeling was so strange and new.  I felt as if I were pulling at least 5 G’s—and I could feel the muscles in the side of my cheeks “falling” with the pull of gravity.  It eased after a few minutes, and the 2nd time I stopped to rest before I was as exhausted, and the feelings were eased somewhat.

I was able to move almost 2/3 of the loose items from T-26.  It has 7 or 8 sets of shelves that I need to move to the new unit before I can place a lot of the loose stuff, so I put all of the loose stuff on the left side of 160 and will put up the shelves on the opposite side when I have the free truck on Tuesday the 28th.  I also got all of the huge rolling trays moved that contain fabric stuff—clothes, sheets, etc.   Thank goodness for the size of the back of the T. Blazer.  It holds a lot!

I keep running across stuff I have bought for Dick and Jonathan for Christmases past, and I am putting them all in one place so I can send them all at once.  I also found a lot of gorgeous crystal and glass stuff that was never unpacked from the move from the Holm Court house to here.  As soon as I get the unwanted stuff out of this house, I can bring in the pretty stuff that is in storage.  I need another pair of feet and hands and a stronger back and a few dozen more hours of endurance before I have to crash!

I just LOVE the TV show, The Newsroom!  It is such a Democratic leaning script, but it clearly explains what Republicans are and want.  I loved tonight’s show.  It shot down every single argument about the country being formed as a Christian nation and its intent to be run from a religious viewpoint.  Sorkin quoted the Bible and the actual words of the men who wrote the papers surrounding the writing of the Constitution.  I had never heard most of them.

My favorite part of the entire script was his description of the Tea Party as the American Taliban.  Sorkin gave a brief description of the ideals of the Republican party, then illustrated why the Tea Partiers are NOT Republican.  He went on to list about a dozen facts describing the feelings and speeches of the Tea Party, and then said that because of these significant differences, they were not Republicans—they were the American Taliban.  He said that if voters were allowed to vote without restriction, there was no way they could continue to exist.  (The focus of the show this time was the strict voter registration going on in all the states where people of color will be required to have photo ID even though many of them cannot get it because they do not have cars or the money to get to the sites where they can get photos.)  I don’t know what his source was, but the script said that there had only been 86 cases of voter fraud for the 2000 election.  (I think that was the one.  My memory is flawed, so it may have been a different year.)  At any rate, the point was the tiny number—.0004 of 1% of the total vote. 

I got some groceries last night—among them were some of those fabulous apples from New Zealand.  “Envy” is the name on their little New Zealand label.  I only got 5 because I also got a 2 lb. container of those huge Thompson Seedless grapes—or maybe they are not Thompson.  But they are pale green, oval and over an inch long and nice and fat.  And sweet!   Also got my last Hermiston melon Friday.

When I got home from my grocery run Saturday evening, I hooked up the hose and did another Liquifeed of the flowers and shrubs.  That is a dual purpose job—waters and fertilizes.  Took care of Doris’ front yard, as well.  It only takes a few minutes and I can reach it all from the driveway.  Most of her yard is in bark and that ugly Lavender that the owner planted all over the park and then refuses to allow owners to remove.

Today I was working in 160 when Doris called and asked if I had any pork and beans and butter beans (limas.)  I told her I knew that I did not, but I could run across to Central Market and pick up some on the way home.  I am glad she called because it allowed me to quit sooner than I had planned to.  It was very enlightening to shop there tonight, too.  The shoppers are the ones whose lives have not been altered by the depressed economy.  They were all very well dressed.   All of them had tans that said either “islands” or “Arizona/California—vacations.”   Ironically, nearly all of them had at least one bottle of wine in their baskets--and NO soda.  <grimace>

Today’s ESPN talk shows were still all about the Hawks last game with Russell Wilson as the QB.  Everyone thinks he deserves to be our regular starter and he may be the best of this year’s rookies at that position.  I just keep hoping that he won’t get injured, because he is so much smaller than most of the guys on the field.  Have in the radio to listen to keeps me going.  I have a little boom box that I haul in the car—back and forth between the units.  I listen in the car when we are driving, so I can keep up with the baseball game in the late afternoon and just sports talk before and after that.

I am supposed to see a new Dr. tomorrow about my arthritis, but I am going to cancel the appointment so that I can be sure to be out of the small units by the end of the month.   I can always reschedule after that is assured.

Right now it is almost 2 and I am really tired.  I am going to try to sleep!  I hope all of my family and friends are sound asleep and snoring peacefully!

No comments:

Post a Comment